Skip to main content

Headingley v Pool

2pm  27 January 2018

West Yorkshire League, Premier Division
Headingley 1 Pool 0 (att 20)

The weather was just one of several factors that meant a late decision on where to head for my game. I thought I might be seeking the safety of an artificial pitch until a couple of phone calls confirmed the grass pitches at Leeds University's Weetwood sports ground were playable.

I was last here in 2005 for a match on 'pitch one', today staging a Yorkshire Amateur League fixture. This time my destination was some distance away on 'pitch two', neatly railed off with a pair of dugouts and the regular home of Headingley AFC.

It's the third home ground I've seen the club play on, although the first since they changed name from Old Headingley, and recompletes visits to all the top division venues in the West Yorkshire League.

Headingley's chances of continuing in the top flight next season were boosted no end by the 82nd minute goal that won this tight and entertaining game. The three points move them away from the foot of the table, while Pool drop to bottom.

A draw would have been a fairer outcome of an even game. Both sides had chances but were denied by poor finishing, bad luck and some good goalkeeping. I was resigned to a nil nil draw, albeit an enjoyable one, until Headingley's late winner.











Comments