Skip to main content

Prestwich v Old Boltonians

6.30pm  10 April 2017

Lancashire Amateur League Cup, Third Round
Prestwich 0 Old Boltonians 1 (att 9)

Back in August I visited Prestwich FC's Hopwood Hall College ground in Middleton for a pre-season Kenyon Cup clash. The pitch they used that day was one of two on the same sports field, and as the other had a pair of permanent dugouts I wondered at the time whether most first team games would be on that one instead.

I now live in Prestwich, and as Middleton is only just up the road and it was a Monday night with no other options for seeing a game, I decided to go along and take a look. Sure enough, the pitch with dugouts was the one in use, so a new ground for me and a handy way to 'tidy up' my previous visit to Prestwich FC.

Both pitches are primarily for rugby, and the dark blue football pitch markings, on green grass, were difficult to make out compared to the bright white lines of the rugby field.

It was a close cup tie, and one of few chances. Premier division Old Boltonians are likely to be joined in the top flight next season by division one leaders Prestwich, and they just about had enough to win this for a place in the quarter finals

I thought I was watching my first nil nil draw of the season, but the visitors scored the crucial goal with about a quarter of the game to go. Not a classic cup tie, but just about entertaining enough to keep my mind off what became a chilly evening.








Comments