Skip to main content

Billingshurst v Langney Wanderers

2pm  7 January 2017

Southern Combination League, Division One
Billingshurst 5 Langney Wanderers 1 (att 15)

Billingshurst are an upwardly-mobile club, having reached 'step six' just a few years after stepping up from village football in the West Sussex League.

Their Jubilee Fields ground still needs a bit of work to meet the ground gradings for this level, there's no seats, covered accommodation or floodlights yet, but it's on the edge of town so if funds allow I wouldn't expect planning permission to be an issue. Indeed it looks as if a space is already being prepared for small stand close to the dugouts.

On the pitch it's been a mixed season so far for Billinghurst, but this comprehensive win will help as they aim to stay clear of possible relegation places. They took an early lead then doubled it early in the second half.

Langney pulled a goal back with around 25 minutes to play, and seemed to have enough momentum to score again, but a third goal for the home side decided the outcome. Langney collapsed once they went 3-1 down, and had a player sent off as they conceded twice more.

One curiosity was the match programme. If I hadn't asked just before kick off I doubt I'd have known there was one on sale, but chances are I'd also have avoided paying the £5 admission charge.

I'm always more than happy to pay to watch a game, as running a club at any level costs money, but I didn't spot any effort to sell programmes or take a gate. I wonder if I was the only one watching who paid to watch.











Comments