Skip to main content

FC United of Manchester v Worcester City

7.45pm  2 October 2015

National League, North Division
FC United of Manchester 0 Worcester City 2 (att 3,619)

I'd been looking forward to visiting FC United's new Broadhurst Park stadium. For starters, it's not often I can go to new ground for a floodlit evening kick off and be back home before 10pm, and I've enjoyed the atmosphere at previous FC United games I've seen.

It seems I don't bring them much luck though, as they've now won on just one of the five occasions I've seen them, home and away. Worcester City, a team I also have soft spot for having lived in the city for a few years, will be delighted at having taken all three points after this match.

Everyone's favourite pantomime villain, Lee Hughes, put the visitors in front with a very well-taken first half goal, then got himself sent off before half time.

With a man advantage, and attacking the end where their fans were massed, I expected FCUM to overwhelm Worcester in the second half, but it didn't happen. There were plenty of half-chances, none taken, but rarely did a home goal look odds on.

FC United's best chance was put over the bar, from just a few yards out, near the end, and within a minute or two Worcester broke forward and scored a second goal to make the points safe, to the delight of their travelling fans.

Broadhurst Park is some way from being the finished article, but is still an impressive venue. The seated stand, with terraced paddocks to the front, has room for expansion at both ends, there's a big terraced end, but the other end and far side are just flat standing.

The ground can be developed in future, as and when funds allow and crowds make necessary, but for a relatively young club. owned by its enthusiastic supporters, it's a fine example of what can be achieved.

Add decent food and drink, and a great atmosphere, and it's a terrific place to watch a game of football. I rarely revisit grounds, but as it's on my doorstep I'm sure this won't be my only visit to Broadhurst Park.










Broadhurst Park isn't on Google Maps yet, but here's a link to its location

Comments