Skip to main content

Killingworth Station v Seaton Delaval Amateurs

2pm  22 February 2014

Northern Alliance, Premier Division
Killingworth Station 3 Seaton Delaval Amateurs 1 (att 25)

This wasn't the best planned of my groundhopping trips. I'd been out on Friday night, which coupled with the continuing weather issues in many parts of the country meant I hadn't really settled on where to go even when I stepped out of my front door on Saturday morning.

First stop was a Manchester Saturday Morning League game, only to confirm my hunch that the home team did use he same pitch I'd seem a game on a few years ago. Rather than staying to watch a low level game on a ground I'd already "ticked" I headed towards the north east, on the basis that the weather had been better there and I'd find games on.

I stopped at a motorway services to check online, and as the club's Twitter feed stated that Killingworth's game was on, and as they'd changed ground, as well as name, since my visit late last season, I headed to the north of Newcastle.

Back in May I saw Killingworth Sporting at Amberley Park, but these days Killingworth Station (renamed following a sponsorship deal with a local pub) are based at the West Moor Community Association. Facilities are fairly typical for the league, just a railed off pitch, with dugouts, behind the community centre buildings which house the changing rooms.

Football here is good value for money though, an admission charge of just £1.50 included a basic four page programme and a free hot drink at half time.

On the pitch it wasn't the most exciting 90 minutes I'll see this season. The first half was particularly scrappy as both sides struggled with the strong wind blowing a across the pitch. Killingworth went ahead thanks to a penalty, softly awarded from my view, but Seaton Delaval equalised before half time.

The second half was an improvement, and Killingworth deserved the win they secured thanks to two more goals, including another penalty.









Comments