Skip to main content

Darley Dale Lions v Bakewell Town reserves

6.30pm  6 May 2013

Hope Valley League, B Division
Darley Dale Lions 2 Bakewell Town reserves 0 (att 40)

I've seen a few Hope Valley League games over the years, but I think this is the first I've watched in the B Division it's third and lowest tier.

But it fitted in well on the way home from my two earlier games, despite the long drive from Redcar, and it turns out that Darley Dale's home ground, Whitworth Park, is a lovely place to spend a warm and sunny bank holiday evening.

It is very much a park pitch, with a lake behind one goal that's unforgiving if a wayward shot goes wide of the target and can't be stopped by the spectators watching behind that goal. I think two balls made it into the water during the game, and a couple more during the home side's warm up at that end.

In truth the game wasn't the best. Neither side had much to play for, and Bakewell's second team were already destined to finish the season bottom. Darley Dale scored after 10 minutes, and added a second early in stoppage time ... at least I think it was stoppage time, the referee played a 55 minute second half, so either there's something wrong with my watch or with his.





Comments