Skip to main content

Letchworth Garden City Eagles v Bush Hill Rangers

3pm  2 March 2013

Herts Senior County League, Premier Division
Letchworth Garden City Eagles 0 Bush Hill Rangers 1 (att 17)

I had planned to take in the Herts Senior County League cup match at Whitwell, but I arrived 15 minutes before the advertised 2.30 kick off to find the game already in progress. As I prefer to see a full 90 minutes I diverted to a game that I hoped would stick to the planned kick off time.

I ended up at Letchworth as, in the few moments I had to decide, it seemed the closest Premier Division ground to Whitwell that I'd not been to. The name, Pixmore Playing Fields, didn't inspire much hope of a decent venue, but in fact the ground was far better than I'd expected.

The main pitch is fully enclosed, with a covered standing area, plenty of hard standing and a cosy clubhouse/tea bar.

It's awkward to find, tucked in behind the Herts County FA ground (the home of now-defunct Letchworth Garden City FC when I went in 1988) and next to Letchworth Rugby Club, who'd attracted the bulk of Letchworth's local sports fans this afternoon.

On the pitch, Letchworth GCE never recovered from conceding what turned out to be the game's only goal in the first minute. The better side won, but Letchworth had a great spell towards the end of the first half when they really should have scored.

Not the game I'd planned, but a decent 90 minutes and a new ground.






Comments