Skip to main content

Mambos v Cuminestown United

8 April 2012
Buchan Welfare League
Mambos 4 Cuminestown United 4 (att 21)

Only the third game I've seen in the Buchan Welfare League, and as I prefer village grounds in places like this I was disappointed the day's fixtures only offered a choice of three games in Peterhead for new grounds.

As Mambos were the only one of the three playing on their regular home pitch (the others not yet ready for the Welfare League's summer season) I went to their Catto Park ground. It's next door to Peterhead FC's stadium, and the pitch, which looked on the small side, is surrounded by a running track.

As you might guess for the scoreline, the game was terrific, and far better than I'd expected. The visitors were ahead after three minutes, the home side (named after a local bar I think) were soon level. The game's turning point was a penalty for Cuminestown inside 15 minutes, which put them 2-1 ahead and earned a red card for the home keeper.

When Cuminestown went 3-1 ahead, thanks to a great free kick before half time, the contest looked over. But Mambos fought back in the second half to draw level, before getting what appeared an unlikely winner in the last minute. Then, in stoppage time, a Cuminestown free kick hit the post but the rebound was turned in for 4-4 draw. Not a bad way to set me up for the long drive home.





Comments