Skip to main content

Bridgend Town v Ton Pentre

17 February 2012
Welsh League, Division One
Bridgend Town 0 Ton Pentre 2 (att 90)

The third home ground I've seen Bridgend Town play on, but Brewery Field is far and away the most impressive. Of course it's better know as the home of rugby in Bridgend, and despite the football club's presence it still has the feel of a rugby venue rather than a football one.

The entire ground was open, and standing on the sparsely populated terracing opposite the main stand reminded me of visits to some of the old London non League grounds, now mostly, if not all, bulldozed.

I've not seen an official attendance figure for the game, but I counted 90 people, and in such a large ground the small crowd was rather lost. The evening had the atmosphere of a reserve game, rather than the home match of a side challenging for promotion to the top league in Wales.

The result was a blow to Bridgend's promotion hopes, and secured with two late goals for the visitors. Before Ton Pentre's opener I'd resigned myself to the game finishing goalless, albeit one of the more entertaining nil nil draws I'd have seen. Bridgend were unfortunate not to get a draw, but paid for not taking their chances, while a healthy turnout of Ton Pentre fans went home happy.






Comments