Skip to main content

Wolverhampton Wanderers U18 v Stoke City U18

11am  21 January 2012
Premier Academy League
Wolverhampton Wanderers U18 2 Stoke City U18 1 (att 50)

Ticked off one of the few remaining Premier Academy League venues I'd not been to, although cutting it fine time wise and struggling to find the way in I nearly didn't make it.

When I finally found my way in (on foot, having parked in a nearby street as I couldn't find the vehicle access to the main entrance) the Sir Jack Hayward Training Ground was a hive of activity. As well as Under 18 and Under 16 games against Stoke, there were various coaching sessions for local youngsters.

The game was better than many Premier Academy games I've been to, probably because both teams adopted a direct approach. All too often at this level it's 90 minutes of neat passing without any creativity or cutting edge in front of goal.

Stoke edged the first half and led 1-0 at the break. Wolves levelled within a minute of the start of the second half, before going to win the game. A draw would have been a fairer result, and indeed it would have finished 3-3 if disallowed goals ruled out for offside, correctly as far as I could tell, had counted.


Comments