Skip to main content

Ballybough Celtic v D-Pils Athletic

6.30pm  1 October 2011
Athletic Union League, Division One
Ballybough Celtic 2 D-Pils Athletic 1 (att 30)

First time I've seen a game in the Dublin-based amateur Athletic Union League. I wouldn't normally start a new league with a game in its fifth tier (Premier A, B C and Senior Divisions are all above Division One) but as it was switched from Sunday to Saturday evening it fitted in well.

I had little idea what to expect when I arrived at Alfie Byrne Park, a floodlit 3G pitch in Clontarf, north Dublin, but the quality of the football exceeded my expectations.

All the goals were in the first half, including a penalty for each side, and the standard compared well with other amateur games I've seen in and around Dublin.

I didn't quite get to the bottom of the visitors' unusual name, but there may be a clue in the fact their players are mostly, if not all, Latvian.

Ground no: 3,653





Comments